The Maryland DUI Lawyers blog was created to report on notable drunk driving and criminal cases and provide useful information for anyone facing one of these charges in the State of Maryland. We have Maryland DUI lawyers and Maryland criminal attorneys that can help guide you through the legal process in what is sure to be a stressful time. Being charged with drunk driving or a similar violation is serious, but it does not have to have significant ramifications on the rest of your life. We can help you fight the charge and obtain the best possible result in your case. Click this link to see our Maryland DUI lawyers website. If you are seeking a Maryland criminal lawyer, please click here.
With national attention and media scrutiny so high for these cases, the State of Maryland has imposed strict penalties for these infractions; even on your first offense the maximum penalties for a first-time DUI charge in Maryland are severe.
- Up to one year in jail
- $1000 fine
- Suspension of driver’s license
- Increase of insurance premiums
Our DUI lawyers can help prevent you from receiving these penalties. These are very serious penalties that could have a significant impact on your life moving forward. You do not have to face this process alone; our drunk driving lawyers can help you fight the charges you face. An aggressive DUI attorney can help you fight the charge successfully, to get you a reduced sentence (including probation) or could get the charge dropped entirely.
There are a countless number of circumstances surrounding your arrest that dictate if the state has a good case against you. Here are some of the details our attorneys examine when trying to fight your charge.
- Did the police stop you legally?
- Did the police violate any of your constitutional rights when they arrested you?
- Failure to advise you on the Maryland Implied Consent Law, and the rights you are awarded by it.
- The integrity of the Breathalyzer machine or the blood test that ultimately determined your BAC. Failure to maintain these systems correctly could result in an acquittal in your case.
Our attorneys have experience practicing all over the State of Maryland. So if you are pulled over in Montgomery, Baltimore, Calvert, Harford, Cecil, Carroll, Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Charles, Prince George’s or any other county in Maryland, we can help.
When you are pulled over, you are afforded a set of rights that dictate the procedure of the arrest. If an officer violates any of these rights while conducting your arrest, our lawyers can help you to fight the charge you face on this basis.
- The arresting officer should read your Miranda rights, which include the right to remain silent when the police ask you questions about the circumstances surrounding your arrest. It is recommended that you act politely and cooperate with the police at the time of your arrest, but you do not have to answer any questions about how many drinks you may have had or any other events leading up to the arrest until you have first consulted an attorney.
- While refusing to submit to Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs) could likely lead to an immediate arrest for a DUI, not participating could help you down the line as you and your attorney try to fight the charge in court. The results of the SFSTs will only be used as evidence against you if you fail. Refusing the test gives the prosecution less of an argument against you. There is a good chance you will be arrested either way; don’t give the prosecution greater evidence against you.
- Perhaps most importantly, you have the right to speak to an attorney before talking with the police at all about the circumstances regarding your case. This is the smartest move you can make, and probably the first one that should be made when you get near a phone.
We also have DWI Lawyers in Virginia ready to handle your defense, so if you are charged with an alcohol related traffic violation in Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Manassas, Falls Church, or Fauquier County, or any other town in Northern Virginia, our attorneys will be able to help you obtain the best possible result in your case. You can also contact DC DUI Lawyers if you are pulled over in the District of Columbia.